Anyways, if you're reading this, you probably already know this. But I was amazed at the amount of WPA projects here at MSU. You can almost always distinguish them by their art deco style (which I love).
These first pictures are from the MSU museum auditorium. I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be Michigan (hence the mining, logging, etc.). Everybody (ladies included) is always depicted as very muscular. Celebrating the laborer in the 1930s...
The three pictures above were taken at the MSU auditorium. Interesting to note: these were painted during WWII (WPA projects existed until jobs became more prevalent during the war in 1943). WPA artists and writers were known for inserting not-so-subtle critiques into their works, and as the US entered WWII, the government urged workers to focus on patriotic themes.
Above: This was originally at the East Lansing post office but now resides at the MSU library
There's a hidden garden under this sculpture that I wish somebody would maintain!!!
Of course, if you have been to MSU this is at the entrance (excuse the sideways!)
Again, sorry about the sideways image...This is located at the side of the music building and is all that remains of the MSU bandshell that was once along the river. Seriously, MSU...why the hell do you destroy everything historic on your campus???

There's many more that I haven't posted, but this gives you an idea of all that's here.
On a side note...Zach finally ordered a lens for our enlarger and as soon as it gets here we can begin again with our darkroom! I'm excited to experiment with the Folding Kodak camera my mom purchased for me at an estate sale...and to finally print some pictures with the film we developed. I suppose I'll leave the rest for another post.
No comments:
Post a Comment